Pages

About Me

My photo
Spring, Texas, United States
I am a portrait and event photographer serving the Greater Houston and South East Texas areas and will travel to other areas in Texas. I mostly shoot outdoors but have a studio available if desired. I take posed pictures as well as candid shots. I shoot with a Sony DSLR and digitally enhance all images. Please send me an email for an appointment. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Studio set up and Editing Tutorial

This is a behind the scenes look at a set up we did for a smash cake session in our home.

Our goal was to keep the background simple by using a warm neutral background.
(This keeps the focus on the pops of color in the baby's hat and the cake.
The banner adds interest to the background with a touch of muted color. The banner, antique high chair, and barn wood rug add a nice vintage feel.)


Here is an example of a simple edit from this session...
(from straight out of camera to final sepia toned image)

(done in CS5)
First, I removed any blemishes from the background and her skin using the healing tool.
Then, I ran the free Boost action from Pioneer Women to sharpen and boost the contrast/saturation slightly.
Next, I added a brightness adjustment layer and raised it to 26.
Finally, I wanted a warm, slightly vintage look. So, I added a sepia photo filter adjustment layer and raised it to 38%.

In case you are curious, my mother made the banner. It is simply a bunch of scrap material triangles with iron-on interfacing attached (for a little weight plus fray protection) and sewn to bias tape.
The tutu was purchased from Pretty Tutus For You.
The adorable hat was made by one of my friends.
I made the cake...It was kind of a wreck but hey, it was gonna be smashed anyway! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment